Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Civil service employees, often called civil servants or public employees, work in a variety of fields such as teaching, sanitation, health care, management, and administration for the central, state, or local government.
Legislatures establish basic prerequisites for employment such as compliance with minimal age and educational requirements and residency laws.
Employees enjoy job security, promotion and educational opportunities, comprehensive medical insurance coverage, pension, and other benefits which are often not provided in comparable positions in private employment.A government employee could be from a variety of fields as
1. BANKS & INSURANCE SECTOR:
These employees after their retirement can get job offers for managerial positions, as information/knowledge providers to private companies.
The employees of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) and General Insurance Company (GIC) can start their own business. They get hired by companies in Human Resource, Finance, Public Relations, development, personnel, accounts, actuarial, secretarial, legal, investment, inspection, mortgages, vigilance, foreign, corporate planning & building departments.
2. ARMED FORCES:
Employees from this field find jobs in areas such as Private security systems or can also start their own private firms providing security. They can get offers from Corporate Sector for security reasons. Industrial houses regularly recruit defense personnel.
Commissioned officers can get job posts as Director Corporate Governance, HR, Administration, Training & Facility Management, Logistics & Transport services, CEO/Head of a medium-sized organization, Technical & Non-Technical streams in Construction & Real estate Industry, Doctors, nurses & paramedics.
Non Commissioned officers can get jobs in the field of Accounts & Back office, Security & Traffic control, MEP, Civil, Design, Engineer and also work for Construction & Real estate industry, IT/Telecom installation, repairs & maintenance, Fleet management & Transportation, Healthcare, NGO, CSR services, Cooks, etc.
Retired teachers can get job offers as a Substitute Teachers, can work in private tutorials or can even start their own private tuitions. Private tuitions can be home-based or even Tutorial firms. Teachers usually have a combination of tools in their kits such as solid degree credentials, expertise in a specific field & an undying passion for helping people learn something new. Teachers from physical education field can also start their own physical fitness centers or even work as fitness trainers, yoga trainers, meditation, etc. They can also work in NGOs providing teaching facilities to children & students there. They can also work as counselors; career guides for students. Since teachers have expertise in setting & correcting test papers they can do it as a part time job, where they can check papers of different boards examinations like BA, B Com, BSc etc. The idea of Summer Camp is also becoming a popular business where a teacher can plan out a summer camp which could be of 1 week or a month’s duration in the summer holidays. In this, the teachers are playing a role of helping the students or the children develop their thinking, creativity, inculcate values & principles, etc. Teachers can offer soft skills, interpersonal skills and interview training to students who are ready to move out in the job market. One can work as Associate dean, dean, administrative officer in various private colleges.
4. MANAGEMENT & ADMINISTRATION:
People from this sector can get jobs as management consultants; work in the field of mutual funds & insurance products. They can also get jobs in the teaching field as a visiting faculty, work in NGOs. They also get jobs in the corporate sector, providing innovative ideas, solutions to increase work efficiency & so on.
Individuals who retire from this field have a range of jobs available to them. They can become legal advisors for the corporate sector & for industries. They have the option open of providing guidance to fresher’s, and can work as a lecturer in educational institutes. They can set up office providing legal advice to people, firms, etc. The option of working as a counselor is also available.
They can become a part of an NGO & stand for social issues and causes.
6. HEALTH CARE:
Doctors retiring can start their own private practice. They can also get attached to private hospitals. People from the field of medicine, can set up work as counselors too, with a wide range of counseling fields available such as patient counseling, patient medication counseling, health care counseling, etc.
The Central and state governments provide a number of concessions to ex-servicemen (ESM) for their re-employment in Central or State government posts. This consists of reservation of posts, relaxation in age and educational qualifications and exemption from payment of application or examination fees. While giving jobs, a special priority is provided to disabled ex-servicemen and dependants of deceased service personnel on compassionate grounds. A few details on employment opportunities for ex-servicemen:
· Central Government has reserved 10% of Group "C" posts and 20% of Group "D" posts for ex-servicemen
· Public Sector Units and nationalized banks provide 14.5% reservation for Group "C" posts and 24% reservation in Group "D" posts
· 10% of posts of Assistant Commandant in the paramilitary forces are reserved for ex-servicemen.
The Directorate General of Resettlement (DGR) registers or sponsors private ex-servicemen security agencies for providing security guards to various Public Sector Units and industries in the private sector. Currently there are around 1800 ESM security agencies that have provided employment to over 1,10,000 ex- servicemen.
The government has also set up self-employment schemes to help retired defence personnel set up small scale or medium scale businesses. The Self Employment Scheme for Ex Servicemen II and III (SEMFEX-II and SEMFEX-III) and the National Equity Fund Scheme are some such schemes. These schemes provide loans to ex servicemen for starting a small-scale business. The application for the sanction of a loan needs to be submitted to the Zila Sainik Board.
Other employment opportunities for Ex-Servicemen are the Coal Transport Companies Scheme and the Coal Tipper Scheme. Petrol Pumps, LPG and Kerosene Dealerships have been allotted to personnel with disabilities that can be attributed to military service. Preference is given to ex-Servicemen, disabled defence personnel and widows in the allotment of public telephone booths. In the National Capital Region of Delhi, ex defence personnel are involved in operating Mother Dairy booths, vegetable stores and Compressed Natural Gas stations.
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Counselling is a special relationship built on confidentiality, mutual respect and open communication, with the intention of helping people to clarify and identify their problem areas and help them independently find their own solutions. It is about empowering a person to make their own decisions; it is not giving advice or offering sympathy.
The principle behind counselling is that it helps enormously to share problems with a counsellor who is there to accept you as you are listen and understand how things are for you . The counsellor is unbiased and there to offer support and strength during emotional times. More importantly he/she can help you unravel the reasons behind issues such as depression, substance abuse and low self esteem, or come to terms with childhood pain caused by bereavement or sexual abuse. Counselling is a process during which you will come to know yourself, to understand why you engage in the same destructive behavior or repeat the same patterns. It is a journey of self discovery which can be painful and difficult, but the end result is a more fulfilling and enlightened life.
In a typical session you would meet with your therapist to decide whether counseling is what you need and also whether you feel you could work together. If you are going to be able to share personal aspects of your life with the counsellor it is important that you feel a connection and warmth as well as trust and confidence with your councellor. After that you will make a contract to work together for a number of sessions to ensure that you are getting what you need from your sessions.
Counselling is suitable for most people and most problems, provided you really want to change your life and are willing to experience some emotional turmoil along the way. Counselling is not suitable for people with mental illness, who may have different needs and may benefit from psychiatrist or clinical psychologist.
Different Types of Counselling
There are many different forms of counselling, each with different ideas about how the human psyche has developed and different ways of working with issues. For example, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is concerned with a client's behavior and the context in which this takes place, with a view to learning the ways of acceptable behavior. Psychodynamic Therapy is more interested in the client's unconscious thought processes and believes that childhood experience provides answers for today's problems. Brief Solution Focused Therapy is a short term therapy that concentrates on one issue and tries to find ways of solving it, usually practiced for work problems and relationship issues. Humanistic counsellors place great importance on the relationship between client and counsellor and believe in essentially the positive nature of human life.
- Art therapy is a form of psychotherapy that uses art media as its primary mode of communication. It is practised by qualified, registered Art Therapists who work with children, young people, adults and seniors. Clients who can use art therapy may have a wide range of difficulties, disabilities or diagnoses. These include, for example, emotional, behavioral or mental health problems, learning or physical disabilities, life-limiting conditions, brain-injury or neurological conditions and physical illness. Art therapy may be provided for groups, or for individuals, depending on clients’ need.
- Dance therapy, or dance movement therapy is the psychotherapeutic use of movement and dance for emotional, cognitive, social, behavioral and physical conditions. As a form of expressive therapy, DMT is founded on the basis that body movements and emotions are directly related. The ultimate purpose of DMT is to find a healthy balance and sense of wholeness.
- Drama Therapy is the use of theatre techniques to facilitate personal growth and promote mental health. Drama therapy is used in a wide variety of settings, including hospitals, schools, mental health centers, prisons, and businesses. Drama Therapy, as a form of Expressive Arts Therapy, (also known as Expressive Therapy), exists in many forms and can be applicable to individuals, couples, families, and various groups.
- Music therapy is an allied health profession and one of the expressive therapies, consisting of an interpersonal process in which a trained music therapist uses music and all of its facets—physical, emotional, mental, social, aesthetic, and spiritual—to help clients to improve or maintain their health. Music therapists primarily help clients improve their health across various domains (e.g., cognitive functioning, motor skills, emotional and affective development, behavior and social skills, and quality of life) by using music experiences for example improvisation, singing, songwriting, listening to and discussing music, moving to music) to achieve treatment goals and objectives. It is considered both an art and a science, with a qualitative and quantitative research literature base incorporating areas such as clinical therapy, biomusicology, musical acoustics, music theory, psychoacoustics, embodied music cognition, aesthetics of music, and comparative musicology. Referrals to music therapy services may be made by other health care professionals such as physicians, psychologists, physical therapists, and occupational therapists. Music therapists are found in nearly every area of the helping professions. Some commonly found practices include developmental work (communication, motor skills, etc.) for individuals with special needs, songwriting and listening in reminiscence/orientation work with the elderly, processing and relaxation work, and rhythmic entrainment for physical rehabilitation in stroke victims. Music therapy is also used in some medical hospitals, cancer centers, schools, alcohol and drug recovery programs, psychiatric hospitals, and correctional facilities.
- Brief psychotherapy or Brief therapy is an umbrella term for a variety of approaches to psychotherapy. It differs from other schools of therapy in that it emphasizes on (1) a focus on a specific problem and (2) utilize direct intervention. In brief therapy, the therapist takes responsibility for working more pro-actively with the client in order to treat clinical and subjective conditions faster. It also emphasizes precise observation, utilization of natural resources, and temporary suspension of disbelief to consider new perspectives and multiple viewpoints. Rather than the formal analysis of historical causes of distress, the primary approach of brief therapy is to help the client to view the present from a wider context and to utilize more functional understandings ( By becoming aware of these new understandings, successful clients will de facto undergo spontaneous and generative change. Brief therapy is often highly strategic, exploratory, and solution-based rather than problem-oriented. It is less concerned with how a problem arose than with the current factors sustaining it and preventing change. Brief therapists do not adhere to one "correct" approach, but rather accept that there are many paths, any of which may or may not in combination turn out to be ultimately beneficial.
- Career counselling and career coaching are similar in nature to traditional counselling. However, the focus is generally on issues such as career exploration, career change, personal career development and other career related issues. Typically when people come for career counselling they know exactly what they want to get out of the process, but are unsure about how it works. Career counselling is the process of helping the candidates to select a course of study that may help them to get into job or make them employable. A career counsellor helps candidates to get into a career that is well suited to their aptitude, personality, interest and skills. It is the process of making an effective correlation between the internal psychology of a candidate with the external factors of employ ability and courses. Career counsellors work with people from various walks of life, such as adolescents seeking to explore career options, or experienced professionals contemplating a career change. Career counselors typically have a background in vocational psychology or industrial/organizational psychology. The approach of career counselling varies, but will generally include the completion of one or more assessments. These assessments typically include cognitive ability tests, and personality assessments. Two commonly used assessments are the Strong Interest Inventory and the MBTI.
- Co-counselling is a grassroots method of personal change based on reciprocal peer counselling. It uses simple methods. Time is shared equally and the essential requirement of the person taking their turn in the role of counsellor is to do their best to listen and give their full attention to the other person. It is not a discussion; the aim is to support the person in the client role to work through their own issues in a mainly self-directed way.
EduGroomers Career Counselling
Sunday, October 28, 2012
A good career counselor is vital in building the career of a student. However, there are certain duties and responsibilities that a counselor should undertake. You will know if you can be a good counselor provided you possess the following-
- Have realistic goals: Set realistic goals to assist a student achieve both long term as well as short term goals.
- Honesty: You can become a good career counselor only when you are honest with clients.
- Conscientiousness: If you are not a conscientious, you may actually start misguiding students to make commissions along the way from admissions fee. It is completely unethical!
- Communicate well: Give adequate information so that students have relevant facts with them and do not get confused while making decisions.
- Connect with students: Creating a rapport with students will enhance the level of understanding.
- Optimism: Be optimistic and speak positively using analogies and words of motivation. This is necessary to maintain a good relationship with students.
- Motivate others: Sometimes, students might talk to you about their failures. In such a case, encourage them to do better. At the same time, be realistic and suggest alternatives.
- Good listening skills: Good listening and speaking skills are requisite to communicate your ideas.
- Confidence: No matter what your job is, confidence is essential in every field. You cannot guide a student if you are yourself not confident about your career path, or your student’s career path.
- Stay focused: Do not get bored while a student is speaking to you. This will create an impression that you are uninterested.
- Work on your body language: Know what postures are acceptable that invite positivity at your workplace. Slouching while working, or fidgeting with objects, and so on are bad non-verbal cues that depict that you are not interested in your work.
- Be responsible: Take concrete decisions and remember that your strategies can either make or destroy a student’s career.
- Patience: Be patient in understanding the requirements of a student and their capabilities.
- Out of box thinking: Can you think objectively, and not subjectively to arrive at a decision? If yes, then you are using out-of-box thinking to help a student in cutting down on career confusion and helping in making a good decision.
- Presentable: You need to be presentable and have a strong personality to be accepted as a career counselor. Proper attire and grooming is essential. If you are used to wearing tees, jeans and flip flops, reconsider your decision of being a career counselor.
Farzad Minoo Damania
EduGroomers is a professionally managed educational organization offering Unbiased Career Assessment,Counseling, and various Empowerment Training Programs for students (school andcollege), teenagers, graduates, job seekers and working professionals.
Established with an endeavor toempower and groom individuals of all ages including students (school andcollege), teenagers, graduates, job seekers, working professionals, housewivesand seniors, EduGroomers offers numerous integrated learning solutions and unmatchedCareer Advice with assistance of its adroit team of professionals and experts,who are always updated with the latest Career Opportunities and Career trends inIndia and abroad.
EduGroomers (Famous and Most Popular)Career Testing includes:
- CareerEvaluation Test – Discover your natural career abilities
- Career InterestTest – Know your career interests
- Aptitude Test –Check if your aptitude supports your career plans
- PersonalityTest – Understand how your personality resonates with your career choice
- EmotionalIntelligence Test – Learn if you can handle the nuances and pressure of job/ business
Benefits of EduGroomers Programs:
- Unbiased Career Counselling (We are not tied up with any institute, we are 100% unbiased)
- Identifies your strengths, passion, aptitude and career opportunities
- Individualistic approach and Personal attention
- Result oriented workshops and seminars
- Innovative out-of-box training programs
- Expert and knowledgeable guidance